Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Color me crazy


Today I had streaks put in my hair. It's been a dream of mine for some time to have red hair.. I could have been WAY ahead of the trend if I'd followed my heart, and if my hair stylist hadn't talked me out of it that one time. So, my hair was a natural black.. not a streak in sight. I picked this great dramatic copper-red-blonde color.. and then said, "somewhere between here and there.." pointing to the copper-red-brown tone next to it..

Luckily I didn't dye my entire head, which I orginally planned to do. I wanted something obvious, like no one will see me and not realize something's different. Here's the thing, I don't care how excited or resolved you are about a new hair cut or color, there's always that moment when the stylist hands you the mirror and you look into it and your damn heart drops into your stomach. (I once got teary eyed.. years ago when I cut off like every inch of my hair. In fact, that stylist called my sister later that day to ask how I was doing. ha!) But this wasn't that bad. There were just a few minutes after she showed me the large red streaks running through my hair when I laid back in the shampoo bowl wondering, "How am I going to go to work on Monday?" "What's my mama gonna say?" (She's going on year six with hopes I'll find a relaxer for my hair.) "How the hell am I gonna rock this clown look?" "Is this super ghetto or non-conformist cool?" Then I looked at the bright side, At least I work in a creative field. Looking crazy kinda validates you.

Anywho, at the end of the session I was very happy. Once my hair was dry, the color contrast wasn't so sharp. I'm lying, but..it wasn't so alarming. And the bright side is that I'm not looking for work. Just imagine what Remy Ma's heart did when she saw her dye job for the first time...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, the shock will wear off. It's all in how you rock it. If you know what you're talking about and you dress to impress, people won't even notice your hair if you were to go to an interview. As long as you don't look like that pic you have posted, you're straight.

2/12/2006  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

What's funny is that ppl walk by my office and notice this color from like 10 feet away.. haha. It's all good though...

2/13/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF!!! Room to the power of Ex! We need some pic's. Does sound pretty cool thought. I think you could carry it off with no problems!

2/13/2006  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

yo.. i may be the only person who's geeky enough to blog but doesn't own a digital camera.. One day I'll take some pics though.

2/14/2006  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

it sounds cool. and we know it is all about the hair.

2/16/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home