Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Friday, August 11, 2006

It's our anniversary, bitches!


It's been a good 12 months and thanks to all who read my rants and random thoughts. I'd like to give special thanks to Dubya Bush, Dave Chappelle, the crazy reality shows like "Black & White," "Being Bobby Brown" (Eagerly awaiting season 2), "Flavor of Love" (hooray for season 2!) and a special thanks to the real people who put their lives on TV knowing that people will be cursing their names. Lastly, a shout out to my special ex-supervisor who inspired the title of my blog.

The only way I can think to celebrate this milestone digitally is to post some of my favorite comments from the past year. I can't possibly rank them, so I'm just going to do a random list. If your favorite comment is missing please post it in the comment section..

Yeah so, I was going to do a top 10 list of my favorite comments from the blog over the year, but it took far too long for me to search through all of the posts. So, here's one and I'll post 10 before the month is up.

10. D.A. on the Which "Sex and the City" chick are you? Quiz
Wake up, women! Here's the shot: "Sex and the City" is evidently a good show. (I think it sucks, but I'm straight, so I guess that stands to reason.) But the thing is that it's written in a way that makes people feel like they identify with the characters. That's what good TV shows and movies do. They make you feel like YOU could be called Ishmael, like YOU could fight vampires, like YOU could be friends with Ice Cube. That's the whole point.
But if I have to hear one more 300-pound high school dropout with three filthy kids in tow telling her friend how "those girls on that show are just like me and my friends," I'm gonna fucking kill somebody. Those ladies are NOT like you and your friends. They spend thousands of dollars on shoes. They have carefree and illicit sexual encounters with numerous men. They seldom work, and they live in NY apartments that'd run about $50,000 a month. (And by the way, no journalist has ever made that kind of dough. Even the top guys in the biz make their money on novels and freelance.)
In fact, they're probably the farthest from you and your friends that one could get while still being a human female. Stop living the lie that HBO has fed you! They're just characters, and they're designed specifically to have "universal appeal," meaning that you feel like they're like you and your friends. And in truth, this really ain't that hard with characters that two-dimensional. "Look, she likes shoes, too! She's just like me!" or "She's kind of prudish! My friend Stacey won't have sex with a lot of guys!" or "Damn! She's a ho! My girl Maggie is like that!" It's called "stereotyping," people. Look it up

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home