Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Monday, October 03, 2005

Fantasia's Durdi Liddul Seekret


So, I'm just finding out today that Fantasia (American Idol winner) revealed that she can barely read or write. She struggles to read to her 4-year-old daughter, and usually tells her she's too tired. She faked being able to read on "American Idol" by performing songs she already knew. When they gave her song lyrics to learn, she'd listen to the music and memorize the words that way. She also admits that she couldn't read a word of the recording contracts she's signed, which is the point where I'd let someone in on my secret. I'm more impressed with homegirl at this point, for not giving up and not letting her disability get in the way. But I'm saddened by the fact that she's gone this long without learning to read. I would be SO frustrated if I couldn't read.

ABC News says that one in five American adults are "functionally illiterate" (the category Fantasia falls in) meaning that they have problems reading road signs and the newspaper. Since none of them can understand what I'm writing right now, here's what I really think: There are people who are dyslexic and that's sad. But at some point aren't illiterate adults kinda lazy? I mean, let's take Fantasia for example. When she dropped out of school at around age 16, she probably had PLENTY of time to learn to read. It's my understanding that she barely worked because she had problems securing a job. There's also an issue of many people in her family having problems with reading, including her mother. Which kinda sets the tone that it's OK to be bad at reading.

You can tell me that illiterate people aren't lazy but....special. But I'll point you to the biography of Frederick Douglass, and any slave or immigrant in the States who learned to read against all odds because they knew that it was the key to endless opportunities. I think that some Americans can't read because they don't have the drive to stick with it and keep trying. Today, Fantasia is working with tutors and plans to end the cycle of illiteracy in her family. Why now? Maybe because she has a new-found confidence and understanding of how critical reading is. This proves that she had the ability to learn all along.

Fantasia says she's sharing her life and all of its dark secrets (including a rape) in her book "Life is Not a Fairy Tale" to show people that they need to keep hope alive. "I want people to just to see, all you got to do is have a little faith," Fantasia told ABC news. "Have a little faith. Don't give up."

You can check out an excerpt here:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you write a book when you can't read? Obviously, if she expects people to buy her book, they have to know how to read. I would imagine that she is targeting her book to her fans and those who can relate to her. If these people are anything like her, they most likely can't read either. If they can't read it, they won't buy her book. She has to set an example that reading is a feasible task so that others will attempt to read her book. Personally, I am not so sure I want to read a book written by an illiterate.

However, I did find the excerpt quite engaging. I am impressed. Perhaps, it is the fact that I recognize the places that she speaks of. I wonder if those not familiar with the Triad would find it nearly as interesting. Obviously, she had help in the writing, but overall I thnk it flows well.

10/04/2005  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

It's funny because I was reading an old issue of King magazine last night (the one with Eva on the cover) and they had an article about turning other people's misfortune into paper for you. They were saying that you try to sell a crazy life story- blood, death and celebrities were the top topics- to a book publisher by playing up your involvement in the tale. For example, I'm Fantasia's next door neighbor who first discovered she couldn't read. Then you basically find someone to ghost write the book for you. You can pay them up front, or pay very little up front and promise them royalties. This is what the experts reccomend b/c most books don't do well in royalties.

Anyway, I say all that to say that many authors, especially in the non-fiction world, don't write their own books. And if anyone is reading this needs a ghost writer- holla at your girl.

10/05/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading is fundamental.

10/05/2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home