Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sucka-free workplace

Tell the truth, the worst part of any job is dealing with that asshole who works with you on a daily basis. The work- you signed up for, the salary- they told you about, the location and everything else was disclosed. But sometimes coming in to work is more painful than watching an episode of BET's "College Hill." The solution is right in front of us all.. telecommuting! My meager salary would stretch further if I didn't have to pay for gas to take me to the office and back daily or buy "work clothes" and pay for lunch. And guess what? When I get to the office, I use the same software and equipment that I have at home. (minus the landline phone thing..)

There's actually a congressman ( Frank Wolf, a republican but I'll let that slide for now) who has made telecommuting his pet project. He wants to penalize government agencies (by hitting them in the pockets) if they don't support telecommuting. He says there's nothing magic about fighting traffic to get to work and sit behind a computer. And here's something else to think about.. every morning I pass accidents, normally fender benders, but yesterday I saw a sad 3-4 car pile up. I personally don't believe in speeding to work. I don't punch a clock and I don't get to leave at quittin time, so I take it easy on the road. But this would cut down on traffic if we didn't all have to rush to work at the same time daily.

This republican dude has a point. It will take forever for the government to effect the private sector where most of us work, but I think corporate culture should change in MANY MANY ways. This telecommuting thing is a no brainer. We should come to "the office" - which doesn't need to be as large or expensive as they are for small companies- just for meetings and major deadlines when people need to work together. I could seriously boil my week down to 3 days in the office and get the same stuff done. According to CNN, the SEC, the State Department, the Department of Justice are required to give employees the option of telecommuting.

Oh, we could have communal offices, like a Kinkos or cyber cafe where you can spend your whole day mingling with people you like! I could telecommute and invite my friends to telecommute at the same place... Wait, this is starting to sound like a less productive day already. OK, only on Fridays.

Of course there's a downside to telecommuting when someone doesn't read or check emails. But overall I think this is a swell idea. I think I'd feel more independent and happy if I didn't have to sit in my assigned seat every day to do things I could do in my bed. Where can I sign up for this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home