Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Wal-Mart




A new Wal-mart just opened in my area. There was already a super Wal-Mart about 10-15 minutes away, but now I can be in the parking lot in like 7 mins. (of course it takes 5 mins to find a parking space and 5 more to walk to the store). Anyway, I was strong when Wal-Mart was 15 mins away. I would say shit like, "I'm not going to Wal-mart for that! We can buy that at the damn grocery store..." Yes, I realize some things are cheaper there, but I'd refuse to let them squeeze out the little guys. Now that Wal-Mart's closer I feel its force. I think about it after the grocery store closes and I'm still awake. "Hmm, Wal-Mart's open," I say to myself. "I could throw on something and go shopping. I can look for new stationary and a poofy-sponge for the shower." Shit I'm not even pressed to own. Then the thought that makes me put my clothes on, "I should go see what type of conditioners they have, and maybe the have body wash on sale with lotion attached to the back!" I love when they have that perfect combo of products taped together.

Is Wal-Mart as evil as they say it is? I mean, they opened four new stores in my city and employed about 1100 people. The average salary was $9-10/hour which really isn't bad compared to min. wage. There were people waiting to get in at 7 a.m. when these stores opened. I was watching the news like, "Look at these ass holes." But where did I go when I got off work that day? To "the new" Wal-Mart, like an ass hole. And traffic was horrible. I did get 4 lightbulbs for 77 cents, but I bet the same deal was poppin across town.

The only beef I can have with Wal-Mart is that the one near me is massive. It reminds me of this K-mart distribution warehouse I used to work in. It feels like we should be on forklifts in that place. So they killed lots of trees, but they were so kind to the Katrina victims. Did you know that Wal-Mart has a dating nights in some cities? You can put a number on your cart and push it around which means you're into dating. Then if you're too shy for that, they have little areas in the store where people can meet and talk. Crazy. It's a corporate giant that wants to own everything, just go to Cancun for proof of that, but it's so damn lovable at the same time. Damn You Wal-Mart!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Target junkie myself!

11/03/2005  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Target is that shit. They have better stuff.. but the store hours aren't half as appealing. I'll always spend too much money in Target. There are the picture frames, the lamps, the place mats, the hats... everything's so cute! And I don't live near Target luckily.

11/03/2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really live near a Wal-mart, but I recently went on a field trip with a friend to one. We both left spending way too much money, but I feel like I got stuff that I could use if need be. My companion left cursing Wal-mart. I think Wal-mart was actually referred to as evil .

11/08/2005  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

A field trip to Wal-Mart? They had you before you even got there. This is what I'm saying. Somehow they've programmed us to think "I need to go to Wal-mart..." instead of thinking, "I need a new mop" which I can buy at that no-name discount store down the block.
When you don't live near a Wal-mart, you yearn for that feeling. What compares to being greeted by a senior citizen in an blue vest? What can fill that void in your life?

11/09/2005  
Blogger Chris Benjamin said...

Ummm, volunteer at an old folks' home?

I just don't get it. I live near a Wal-Mart and I do all I can to avoid it. Being in there feels like an insane asylum with wailing babies and wailing grown-ups - bashing their shopping carts against my achilles heals. I just want out, when I'm in. And the smell of Micky-D's perforating over everything is nauseating.

11/11/2005  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Volunteering at an old-folks home is a great idea.. It doesn't have that one-stop-shopping feel, but it would fill the smiling senior-citizen void. Of course, there's the smell, but like benjibopper says, those Mickey D's are pretty odorific.

11/14/2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home