Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Who you calling girl?


Look, I don't care much for Condi Rice for various well-researched reasons. I would probably never support her in almost anything, but there's this quote from Venezuelan bad guy, President Hugo Chavez. He was talking about Condi's recent comments about Venezuela. She said Venezuela was one of the biggest problems in the Western Hemisphere and that she wants the State Department to expose the anti-democratic behavior in Venezuela. In a weekly radio broadcast Hugu warned, "Don't mess with me Condoleeza. Don't mess with me girl." Now, I think that the warning is fair. It's right up there with "smoking out" terrorist, everyone can't disagree with the panache of Barack Obama. And, I'm not even gonna start talking about the fact that the US only seems concerned with the democratic behavior of countries with oil...

My problem is a professional woman being called a girl in public by a man. I don't give a shit what race you are- this has nothing to do with that. Of course, my reaction to being called a girl may be influenced by cultural sensitivities, I'll give u that. But, those are fighting words. Condi should pull the Cedric the Entertainer move from the end of Barbershop 2, like "Wuuuhat you gonna do about it?" I guess I'm writing this because it's monumental for me to feel something for Condi. In this situation, I sympathize with an accomplished woman being called a girl by a big mean man like Hugo. You know what he means. It's up there with bitch in that context, if you ask me, which you didn't but since you've logged on, it's kinda the same thing as asking.

She still needs to get her hair done. And she better not mess with me! haha. I remember one time on Good Morning America, Charlie Gibson called Robin [the ESPN lady who works there] girl. Something like, "Where's your coat, girl?" And Robin responded quickly and ended it with "boy." It was very unnatural and uncomfortable. Here's how "girl" works: Women say it to each other in a sister-friend way. Regardless of race, you can call another woman, "girl" as long as you two are cool. It's not usually a man to woman thing, unless it's a joke. And then it's all about familiarity. Same goes for women, if another woman calls me "girl" and we're not friends, she's basically trying to say "We're cool. I like you" many times this is bullshit and phony. We're strangers. But, in some instances, it can be acceptable. Ex: Dressing rooms. "Girl, that looks good on you."
I know you didn't ask, but since you logged on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home