Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Thursday, August 24, 2006

cookoo for myspace


So, I've joined the MySpace bandwagon officially. I'm all about it, it seems. I can't believe the hold that it has on me. First of all, there's immense pressure to have a page that looks good and represents me. You need the right music, the right background, a hot photo that isn't too seductive, some glittery shit.. I'm not even sure what all of the rules are yet. But from the looks of it, the more digital junk you can pile on without reducing the load time to an hour, the better. I still haven't seen my one of my friends' page because I never have the patience to wait for it. This is my real friend, not a myspace fake friend, which leads me to the most interesting part of my space, well the second most interesting part -- people who have celebrity friends.

No doubt, I have Little Brother as my friend, but I actually know one of them. And they're not quite A-list anyway (damn shame). You won't catch Pharrell or Jay-Z on my MySpace page, unless I meet them and they say "yo hit me up on myspace." And why the hell would they say that? It's just crazy. People have all these friggin' celebs on their pages, like whateva!

But, it's kinda like crack. I actually heard myself talking about my page on the phone earlier today. Like, discussing how many friends I have (5 with 2 pending..) and that I've added a photo of my cat. How lame!! First, I watch dreadful reality TV shows and try to make sense of them, and now, I speak openly about myspace. Look at me, I'm professing my wackness right now.

Anyway, no matter how lame and late I've arrived to this party, myspace is a problem. I spent far too much valuable time yesterday hooking up my page, talking to friends and reading the pages of my friends, only to click on a link to another friend from high school and start talking to them.. see how this works? And then, when I finally get back to my real life and check my personal email, there are messages from Myspace begging me to return because someone sent me a note. Not to mention the pressure that I'm under to make as many F-in friends as possible.. So as not to seem like bigger loser than I already must be to give a shit in the first place.

I can only promise not to be or have any myspace jumpoffs. That's where I draw the line. But recently a young lady I know was telling me that she was hanging with a myspace friend. In fact, she'd invited me to this hangout, but failed to mention this was a myspace first-time meet and greet. I missed it by accident. And surprisingly, he turned out to be a pretty strange guy in person. The things he did could never come across on the computer or in emails. At least they hung out in a group.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well since this is about my beloved MySpace, you know I'll be the first to chime in. ha.

Why do people really think that they are talking to professional athletes? I mean if all their pictures are right click copy, right click pastable from the Internet...do you really think it is them? I saw one Tim Duncan page that had the wrong graduation year and major, but people were steady "thanking him for the add" and claiming to be his #1 fan. How lame are you to impersonate a celebrity?

Grafh's "MySpace Jumpoff"... if y'all haven't heard the song...here's the link.

http://www.myspace.com/grafhblackhand

I admit, I was skeptical at first too. Now I'm a junkie, like in Sugar Hill. I even got mad at my neighbors for putting a password on the wireless Internet connection I had pirating for months. They took it off, and once again I can get my regular fix.

8/24/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSH...u are a true negro for that one. And it is slightly crackish. I was high for about 2-3 weeks...but b/w Madden 07 and an argument (like...a real one!) about my page kinda weaned me off. That and I refuse to put up a real pic in my profile, and had to block random nosey people (like i used to be) from getting on looking at my silly ass not serious page then running back and telling people 'ooh...u know he has a page?!?!'....ok sorry venting. It's cool though long as folk don't take it too serious...it's internet play play...I've always been scared of discovering people by such methods, but I won't hate...i am a lil paranoid and (as Mr. Jones puts it) a 'grumbler'

8/25/2006  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Yo. I'm going to look into all of the security measures that Twizz has taken on MySpace. Do read his page, you have to be his friend- and not like a tee hee, you're my mySpace buddy friend either.. I mean, you need to know which email address he gave myspace, his mother's last name, his favorite football team, whether he prefers chocolate or vanilla.. I was like,damn, I guess we're not that cool after all! I don't know any of this shit..
So, that kinda takes the fun all out of it, because you'll never meet a new friend that way. But I can see how an open MySpace page can cause problems in a relationship. Kinda. Like if a young lady was like, "hey Twizz I had a great time shaking it fast at the club with you last weekend.. sorry I haven't called.. Did you see our pic on the Web? Here's a link." Yeah, I took that hypothetical too the extreme.

But seriously, what happened? How did you get in trouble? You can tell us..

8/25/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RSH, this is exactly why I recently put a password on my internet connection...

8/26/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

intl_princess you were right to do so. i encourage all my friends to do just that. just not MY neighbors. :-)

and twizz you are right to set your page to private. i did. people at work were talking too much about it, and since i occassionally like to blog about them i thought it best to take precautions.

8/26/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home