Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Monday, August 21, 2006

When the Levees Broke...



So, I hope everyone with HBO got to see the first part of Spike Lee's documentary When the Levees Broke. The controversial part came early on when people started saying that they heard an explosion before the levees broke. Some nice people think that Spike is foul for giving these people a platform to share their theory that the levees were bombed. Someone told me this earlier in the day before I watched the documentary and I was like, hmm.. that doesn't sound like something George Bush would have a motive for, other than the fact that he loves to blow shit up. So, I wasn't really buying it. But in the documentary, there's a strong case for this.

First, Spike had several people who lived near the levees on camera saying that they heard a loud boom and a series of explosions. Then they explained that New Orleans or "someone" bombed the levees back in the 20s or 60s to protect the French Quarter and affluent parts of the city from flooding. The fact that the levees were bombed is kinda like an urban myth, right? But lots of people believe it happened that way, which made me more willing to accept the theory that they could have been bombed in 05, for the same reason. It's a provocative look at the hurricane. They also had some great colorful people telling their Katrina stories. One lady explained that the heat during Katrina was hotter than "Africa hot" and she's like, they're always saying "Go back to Africa," hell no! But for real, she doesn't seem like she's ever been to Africa, she couldn't even leave New Orleans when the hurricane was coming. What you know about African heat? Another lady was a white woman telling her story with a deuce deuce in her hand standing in a pile of rubble. At one point she was like, "That ain't this talking [taps on her beer], it's the truth!"

Other than moments like that, I was just somber and disappointed by the way people were allowed to suffer and die after Katrina. Spike showed lots of dead bodies floating in the water and laying in the streets, and the worst part is that you know for every body we saw there were at least two more. I think the documentary did a good job telling the story and backing up people's stories with images.

I think that man who told the story of his mother dying in her wheelchair while waiting on the bus, is the same man who's suing the city of New Orleans and several state agencies for willful misconduct. Oh man gosh, he talked about his mother waiting in the heat and asking him every five minutes if the bus was coming. I got the sense that she couldn't see. And he said that she went about 10 min. without asking and when he went to wake her up she was gone. Then her body sat outside in the heat for four days!

OMG! Did anyone see the people from Gretna trying to say that those people weren't shot at on the bridge and that the people standing there weren't police? Wow. The nerves of some folks.

Part two of this comes on tomorrow and I'll be watching. But let me get this straight: If the President lies about getting head in the oval office, that's an impeachable act. If the President leaves thousands of Americans stranded and dying, then lies about his knowledge of how serious the situation was.. that's OK, right?

In closing: George Bush does not care about black people. -Kanye West

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man...
so b4 I saw this I was like I hope this is not just some far-fetched docu on the theory that the levees were bombed... while I didn't think it is impossible...the govt. did bomb black wallstreet...but I just always thought it was a result of faulty mechanisms.

Then as he starts talking about the levees blowing, I even asked my boy...you think this could be a result of everyone hearing the theoery that they were blown up so people are unconsciously believing they heard shit?...So my boy was like well im sure concrete and steel busting apart is pretty loud...so we figured we had solved that mystery.......................

Then spike shows us that the levees were BLOWN UP TWICE BEFORE...once in the 20's and once in the 60's for the hurricane betsy....why in the SAMHILL was this NEVER mentioned before? So that meanst here has been a breech of the levees every 40 years 3 times...and this wasn't relevent to bring up that the other two time they were blown up?? wow...the media never ceases to amaze me...So now Im on the fence on whether they were blown or just faulty....20's, 60's, 05 wow...

My favorite 3 parts...
1. Condoleeza Rice shopping and playin tennis in ATL for 2 days following and then flying to MS and starting her comment with "i am an african american female....(no shitsherlock)
2. Bush and all the fellas saying they didn't know shit...then having surveilance the day b4 of a meeting with the National Hurricane watcher...lol...I am reading a book for class now talking about how heads of countries/corporations always claim they didnt know/realize some shit after the fact.
3. When that black Lt. Gen came in and was like PUT THOSE GOTTT DAMN WEAPONS DOWN....lol
them white boys was furious lol he wasyellin at them....PUT THOSE GOTTTDAMN WEAPONS DOWN....LOL

but yea gotta give spike a pat on the back...I don't know y I always doubt him (I think its the wack ass speech he did at wake my fresh yr)...his lone blemishin my book is damn girl 6 & Summer of Sam...but other than those 2 he is been layin it down..

8/22/2006  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Yeah, I'd honestly stopped looking forward to Spike Lee Joints myself. Bamboozled was a strong comeback, but there was some shit, oh I thought Clockers sucked extra hard. It was so dark, looked like a bootleg but it wasn't.

I agree w/ McVay, but I also have to add to the list of favorites Ray Nagan. What a cool dude, he has to be the realist politician in the game. Who told him he could be a politician and tell the truth? I know he has to lie a lot too, but he called Air Force One a pimpmobile, or something similar. Then he bragged about taking 5 more mins in the shower when they told him the president was waiting and he should come out now. After they let him on Air Force one to shower... There's only one word for that.. and i try not to say it, but my lips is like a oowap when i start to spray it..

8/22/2006  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Anyone notice the older white couple from New Orleans that Spike interviewed? The husband said he voted for Ray Nagan, and the wife wears her hair in the rich white lady 'do, the kind that barely blows in the wind. I was just tripping off of how extremely rich they seem. I didn't think it was possible to "speak" rich. I think their stiff postures also make me think they're paid to death. Good for them.

8/22/2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home