Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Jay-Z takes it to another level


I don't really watch football, but I heard that Jay-Z was debuting his new comeback video during half time at Monday night football. So, I tuned in to the game last night to support the illest rapper alive. As if getting a random hip-hop video aired during Monday Night Football in the post-Nipplegate era isn't a big enough coup, the video itself was on another level.

I hear that BET aired this video several times yesterday, but I'm not sure if it was the same one I saw, because the one last night had a heavy sports theme. He was riding in a car with Dale Earnhart Jr. and they were racing that famous female driver, what's her name? Danica Patrick. I was like, hmm that's hot. Jay-Z's NASCAR fans will be pleased. Then the video had lots of football footage edited in, which was aight. I like when they dance in their tight pants. Then there was a sprinkle of sistas shaking their beloved rumps, but not too much. I thought it was.. interesting. Overall the video was hot. But the details were.. interesting. He still had the classic speed boat scene, gotta do that.

Man, I can't hate on Jay-Z cause I like him, but I couldn't help but wonder why taking it to another level means abandoning the culture that brought you to that point. Like, I'm really doing it now! I'm beyond black. I think Oprah has her own race now, and Jay-Z is moving into her realm. (Black or African American, White, Hispanic, Oprah) NASCAR is far beyond the segment of the black community that he once catered to. And I'm not saying that I don't want Oprah and Jay-Z in my group anymore, I'm not kicking them out like that Dave Chappelle race draft skit. I think that you move into another not-black-not-white-like-Oprah race based on how people percieve you and treat you, not on what you do. It's the fact that you can do things other people of your race can't do, like Jay-Z can get a rap video on Monday Night Football and Oprah can tell rich white ladies what to do.

The song is crazy though, and the video was directed by F. Gary Gray who did The Italian Job and Friday. And besides Jay-Z is far beyond his fans of all races. I just wonder how Nas feels about Jay-Z making this massive comeback a month before he drops his new album on Def Jam...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home