Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Thursday, May 10, 2007

learning to ride the bus


So, I've been learning to ride the bus since I got to DC more than a year ago. It's hard. The schedules are written in special code and the buses aren't on time so it's hard to know which one is which. The hardest part is knowing which side of the street to stand on to catch the "D8" moving in your direction.

I learned another lesson in bus riding over the weekend.
Rule #42: Never hop on a bus that stops in the middle of the street to let you on.

So, I'm waiting on a bus that should be heading to the train stop less than a mile away. I looked it up on the Metro web site, so I know what I'm looking for. Suddenly a bus with the same number comes rolling by on the other side of the street. I start walking in the direction it's heading just in case there's a bus stop I didn't see. So, the bus driver stops and opens his window to ask me if I need to get on, or something. I ask if he's going to the Rhode Island Metro and he says yes. All he has to do is loop around and he's going right that way. He made it sound like he was about to go around the block and head toward the station. What the hell do I know? This is my first time catching this bus.

So I ask him, "Is that a bus stop?" And he's like, just come on. So he opens the door. There are people on the bus already so I cross the street and get on.

Why did the loop include like 4 stops, the last one being about 2 miles from where I was picked up? Then why did he look at me and say, I just have to pull over and sit for 5 minutes to reset the bus and make sure it takes off on time. I'm like great. I look around and NO ONE else is on the bus. Just my dumb ass. Super!

Then the conversation starts. So, where you heading? Why didn't your boyfriend pick you up? What do you do? blah, blah, blah.

I'm giving friendly but short answers. Meanwhile I'm reading the hell out of a bus schedule like I have a pop quiz to pass later. He eventually says, I'm going to leave you alone. Ahh, relief.
Then he says, I'm not trying to kidnap you. If another bus comes around heading to the Metro you can get on it.

Kidnap? Who said kidnap? Why would you kidnap me? That's when I start to look out of the window into the darkness realizing that I'm the only person on a random bus on a quiet side street and completely helpless. The only thing I have going for me is that bus drivers like their jobs. Plus, dude was harmless.. until he used the K-word.

As if all of that wasn't bad enough. He wraps up his five minute wait with a corny statement like, "Well, it was nice talking to you. It feels good just to pretend I could have a woman like you." WHAT? You were pretending? What a fking weirdo! That's when the last 15 minutes a;; came rushing back to me. He picked me up knowing I needed to go the opposite direction and that we'd be on the bus alone. I even remember him waking up one kid to tell him that we were at the end of the line. On top of all that, the Metro I wanted to go to wasn't the next stop. It was seven minutes away. 7+5+5... hmm wonder how many trips I could have made to the metro from my house in that time frame?
I actually wanted to catch a train to the station that this bus was going to next, but he creeped me out to the point that I didn't want to ride with him anymore. So I get to the train station and had to wait 14 chilly minutes above ground for my train. He nearly ruined my lovely evening! Plus, it was weird.
Don't take favors from bus drivers, folks. That's all I'm saying.

Bus stories have been recurring in my life lately. I should play the numbers.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Then the conversation starts. So, where you heading? Why didn't your boyfriend pick you up? What do you do? blah, blah, blah."

You can never give short polite answers. You must always be curt and damn-near bitch, because men are stupid and often mistake your politeness for interest.

But this is great. I'm laughing out loud in my cubicle.

5/10/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...watch yo mouth bout men bein stupid RSH....

That was pretty wack to say though..but not as wack as the it was good pretending to hav a girl like u...not that u rnt a great lady atsui...but what kinda woman would fall for that...and if u know any women that would (and they not butt ugly) please let me know and ill giv u my phone# to give to her...

5/10/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's exactly what I've been talking about y'all. Sorry to use you in an example, Hostage, but this is exactly why I belong in the South and would be there tomorrow if I had the opportunity.

_____________________________
"You can never give short polite answers. You must always be curt and damn-near bitch..."
_______________________________


It's like, from the Mason-Dixon line up, all females have this mantra tattoo'd to the insides of their eyelids. "Be a bitch. He's probably crazy." Women walk all around the city doing this and then turn around and wonder why only crazy cats try to holler. You HAVE to be a little crazy to keep puttin yourself out there and subjecting yourself to bitchy behavior. It's not exactly something you wake up in the morning hoping to deal with.

Just to put this out there... If I'm tryin' to strike up a convo with a female, hoping to make something happen, that female does not have to be a bitch for me to get the picture that she's not interested.

And yeah.. I'm jaded.


BTW: I've always been under the impression that being an asshole to a crazy person is one of the last things you want to do. If that cat wasn't dealin from a full deck... I don't think being a bitch to him while you're all alone on a bus in a dark place is the best call... but that's just me.

5/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clay...
Firmhandshake
stern eye contact
purposful affirmative head shake

Amen

5/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When have you been talking about this Clay?

Alright, I see I struck a nerve. Maybe I'm just bitter because this man at work asks me every other day my marital status, my boyfriend status, what I did the previous night and what my interests are. I tried to be nice and just answer the questions with short polit answers...never offering more than was asked and never under (any circumstances) asking him any questions to engage a conversation. That does NOT work. I find that it doesn't work with a lot of dudes.

Even when you lie and say you have a boyfriend, men today don't care and still push up.

It has nothing to do with North or South. I'm from above the Mason Dixon, but I live in the South now. You don't have to be a bitch, but men tend to not get a clue. You do have to be curt and direct.

Stop co-signing for Clay. :-) I stand by my statement.

5/11/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't say it's a nerve.. It's just something that has been throughly discussed in other circles so my opinions are pretty developed at this point.

I've really only been talking about it with crew though so when I say "this is what I've been talking about" that's basically for them and half of them read this blog so they've heard it many a time. Just take my word for it. Women and how much friendlier they are in the South has been my #2 soapbox topic for the last six months (#1 being cost-of-living/quality-of-life in.. say.. Charlotte as opposed to our nation's capitol and surrounding areas).

It is DEFINITELY a North/South thing. I don't know anything about dude at your job. I do know that while I was in school in the South I pretty much tried my hand at every chick that attracted me, unless I was in a committed relationship at the time and that wasn't very often. Of course, I lost more than I won but I never had the second thought, "What if this chick isn't interested and gives me shit as if she is offended that I stepped to her?" because that shit just didn't happen.

It wasn't until I left that area and moved northward that chicks started acting in the exact manner as was suggested above. I thought it was a "getting older" thing. Like "Damn.. Women get mean as they get older. No wonder damn near every man I meet who has been married for 5+ years tells me not to do it." Then I had the good fortune to take a trip back to Dixie and lo-and-behold.... the females were friendly or at least cordial. If they felt they were out of my league or whatever, they didn't feel the need to act like I insulted their mother and shat on the hood of their cars. It was more of a "thanks but no thanks" which is cool.

I considered that maybe it was just me but I conferred with said crew and they noticed the same thing.

5/11/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I entitle that last response...

The Gospel of Clayton 5:15

5/13/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took Clay's griping to heart. I pulled off my best "pleasant southern girl" routine, and I met someone new. Thanks Clayboy!

hahaha ;-)

5/15/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

My pleasure RSH!

The rest of you can benefit too! just visit www.giveclaymoney.com . My program works better than Kanye's Workout and Ms. NewBooty combined! Order now!

5/15/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were u serious RSH or was that a joke?

5/15/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no. i really did bite my tongue and hold back all the smart-ass comments that usually flow so freely from my lips. it wasn't nearly as fun, but it got the job done.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

RSH, you have single-handedly made a difference in the black male's struggle against high-blood pressure, heart disease and a number of other stress related diseases. Thank you. We need some brown ribbons like the yellow ones for the troops... but I haven't seen any so feel free to make your own. Then you can pass then out amongst your friends and co-workers so that they may wear them proudly.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

How are ya'll going to be carrying on a convo without me?
What the hell?

5/16/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Speak up then, Sushi.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Dawg, don't call me sushi no more.

5/16/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who said anything about the black man's struggle? you didn't say what color man your methods worked with. turns out it's universal advice. ;-)

5/16/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Apologies. I'm an asshole. I won't fuck up your name anymore. It would get on my nerves too.


rsh: Oh.. um well you can still make the ribbons and pass them out!

5/18/2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home