Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bootleg Bidness Trip


Man, I hate to talk about my employer, because I love it so much. It keeps a roof over my head and food on the table and there's still money left over to waste at bars, clubs and retail stores. Sometimes there are perks like free CDs and concerts. So I overlook little things that really, if I paid more attention, would make me want to burn something down. Not the office building, because we're just one of many suites and I'm not into arsen. Not at all.

Anyways, this week I had a business trip to New York. You've probably heard of the town, it's not that far really. In The Day After Tomorrow Dennis Quaid started driving from D.C. then walked to New York in the worst snow storm ever. Since it's not far, it's not too expensive to reach. They're are several modes of transportation available for less than $200/person round trip. There's the plane, which isn't so flexible, the train, which is SUPER flexible and driving, which is by far the best bet for a small group of people. My employer chose a mode of transportation I hadn't even considered.
The bus. At least it was a Greyhound and not a Chinatown option. (Which I overheard someone lamenting over. "I wish you guys could have caught Vamoose." ) SIGH

I've taken the bus before, can't say I haven't. But I also remember the shame I felt the last time I rolled up in Chinatown with bags strapped to me wearing a grimy bus-riding outfit on a Friday night. I saw a former classmate and was glad that he didn't see me.

Anyway, I'll spare some of my other thoughts about the bus business trip beacuse I am at work. Well, one more thing. Before leaving I was asked to bring my own bed linens and towels because we were staying at a place that may not have enough. I was like, "Wow, this is bootleg. I miss my small company with the pshyco bosses and the big budget." I didn't bring sheets and luckily I didn't need them. The linens were in tack.

I'm just wondering if I've ever had a lower-income business trip before. I've had to share space with some unbearable people, but usually really nice spaces. Here's the thing about business trips. If I have to travel for business, whether it's a professional conference that I just choose to go to or an assignment for a freelance assignment, I pick the best mode of transportation that I can find. Why? It's a tax write off- a legitimate business expense. I mean, some companies have meetings in Bora Bora for this reason alone! Maybe I don't know much about corporate taxes, but I know that I wouldn't take a cheap-ass bus, which is basically a rolling port-a-potty, on my business travel. In the end, the only winner is the bus operator. OK.. I'm done for now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring your own linens and towels? what was yall stayin at a hostel?? Your boss' grandmas house?

I just want to say got lucky young lady...b/c what would have done had you actually needed them linens...
sleep on the pissed stained mattress w/your head on top of your elbow so not to come in contact w/the surface?

That is SUPERbootleggish of your job...and if i saw you in person Id call it something else...I think Charlie Murphy coined the term when speaking of Rick James...

4/26/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

lol... man, it was an apartment owned by the company. It turned out to be really nice and spacious. We slept seven and no one shared beds, if that gives you an idea. I think they were worried that the linens wouldn't be clean and... I don't even know man.

4/26/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. did you even get per diem for food, or did they just send y'all with a bunch of coupons?

one of my girls used to work for our beloved alma mater. now you know they are not hurting for cash in the very least. don't you know they not only had her share a room, but she had to share a bed with her co-worker...and i mean she had just started, so it's not even like she was cool with the other ladies.

4/26/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

we did get per diem. And sharing a bed is just crazy talk.

4/27/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dawg...that is RI...DIC...U...LOUS. LMAO...I mean I can't completely talk cuz I'm a federale and in a good bit of states we don't even have to pay tax...but that's neither here nor there. Dawg u shoulda just drove and told them to pay the gas. Ca---razy...LOL...I'm not even gonna go to a site visit in Baltimore because I don't want to have to get up in the morning to drive and it doesn't meet the 50 mile 'long term travel' reimbursement distance so i can get a room. Hmm...guess I'm a business travel snob?

4/27/2007  
Blogger Tafari said...

Helllllll nall, the Greyhound??? That is bad enough & I almost blacked out when you mentioned bringing your own sheets. That's just straight up GHETTO.

@ RSH - You cracked me up with the bed sharing. As a matter of fact, I am still laughing at that minutes later as I type.

Peace,
Bygbaby

5/10/2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home