Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Monday, December 18, 2006

Crusty goes to a wedding


I often mention that I don't go to many weddings, OK, I've only really been to one as a guest. This past weekend one of my first cousins got married and I was a bridesmaid. I wore a dress that I can wear again and posed for tons of pictures. It was really fun and the wedding was beautiful. (I was hoping it wouldn't be one of those crazy weddings that people circulate in emails like the one the picture above comes from.) I'd say the best part was that I got to eat first.. the weird part is that the photographers took pictures and videos of the wedding party eating. It was a Jamaican wedding so the food was great and the music was good.

Did I trip during the ceremony? Yes, yes I did. But I recovered quickly and there was a slash in the white carpet so it wasn't me being clumsy.

The cool thing about weddings is that they make you think of the wedding you may want one day. There were a lot of comments from people about how they'd do this better or avoid that. One thing I learned is that everyone who thinks they're significant in your life better get a role that reflects their significance. Even if you have to create a role, like "Aunt Edna, would you do us the honor of pouring the champagne for the bride and groom?" Then add her to the program just to make it official "Bride and Groom's Flute filler......... Aunt Edna."

The bride and groom couldn't please everyone and the crazy part is that people had the audacity to be upset when the event had nothing to do with them. There were a few grumpy folks who felt they should have been asked to do this or sit there... puh-lease! Then, there was this speech by the mother of the bride -my cousin was the groom- and it was really weird. It sounded like she wasn't happy about them getting together. She told this story of how they were childhood playmates and she didn't find out that they were dating until they were like 30. While she was describing how he'd always show up for any little event, someone in the audience yelled out "You still didn't know?" And she insisted she didn't, although everyone else did. So she issued this warning to parents to watch who their kids play with... I've debated the appropriateness of her speech with family members. It gave a lot of history that may not be available at most weddings. But it came off like she was disappointed. She even mentioned that the groom had a reputation as a bad boy. Geesh, cut the dude some slack on his wedding day! (She didn't mention the bride's rep.) In fact, the speech came off like homegirl could have done better, which I doubt is true because the couple is very much in love despite what their families think.

Unfortunately, I've learned that I probably can't invite my family to my wedding (far, far from now). We were missing key members that would definitely be at my wedding and I couldn't imagine the drama that would have occurred if more people from our side were present. I was actually telling my sister that the good news is that the bride's family isn't much more civilized than ours. lol. That's horrible! So, I either have to marry a dude with a family that's embarrassing but means well or elope. Great!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mother of the bride makes a speach? Now that I think of it, I don't see why not but isn't it usually just the best man and the maid of honor?

Don't sweat it, though. IF I get married my family is almost certain to embarrass. They Mannings of embarrassment.. they never miss. Cookout, Thanksgiving, trip to the grocery store... it doesn't matter. They will find a way. I think they take pride in it.

12/19/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were there any speeches by drunken relatives? those are the best. maybe that's why the mom let loose?

12/19/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah weddings are always interesting. I've been to a good bit and in 07' the Chinese calendar will be officially changed to include "The year of the Wedding"...(4...WTF?!).

Anyway...i've seen hood, good, great, late...eh...there's always gonna be some piece of drama...you get a bunch of people (especially family) together in an emotional setting it's bound to happen...ESPECIALLY if u add alcohol.

But hey man...it's their journey

12/21/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't get your baby's attention? Send in the clowns -- dad, grandma or a friend who can elicit a response. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Alexa Bags[/url] After determining your prospect's birth order, you may think you've got a last born when he could very well be a first born.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose women parka[/url] Iqxvqzqwr
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora outlet[/url] Fmbjeteoj [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose jackets[/url] ltivzpqnz

12/24/2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home