Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Gospel of Clayton 5:15

So I tuned into my own blog to find a deep debate going on about how women should act when a man tries to holla. This was in the "Learning to ride the bus" post. I didn't get to participate, but I thought to pull this out and make my comment. Below is one of Clay's comments on the subject. He thinks Southern girls are more polite than Northern girls. I have to say that I too have been discussing this since I've moved to D.C. And I have to represent for Southern chicks cause I'm NC born and bred.

I can't go all out and say Northern ladies are rude or mean because I don't deal with them in the same capacity as Clay and his boys. I will say that I've been told by guys that I've dated around these parts (DC) that women here are pretty demanding and rude when it comes to dating or even initial meetings. For example, I've heard that they ask for drinks, which would get you laughed at in the south. Some guys I've met are impressed when I offer to pay (for my part only, mind you) or when I try to save them a dollar or two by avoiding overpriced bullshit on a menu. That's just me putting myself in his shoes. I wouldn't waste my money on a wack date or pay $4 for a side of strawberries on my french toast (true story, I told them to keep those damn strawberries!), so why should he? While I LOVE, I mean absolutely ADORE talking shit, I think northern women are too quick to talk shit to a guy who's simply trying to give you a compliment or dares to try to get your number. Poor schmuck.

I think that the least we can do for poor losers who step to us is show them some respect, up until the point that they disrespect us. I always wish I had shut a dude down earlier or with more authority, but I hate to be that chick who made the mistake of thinking someone was trying to holla when he was only making small talk. So I wait.

Anyway, I think Clay has a valid point and I think women in the South are nicer. Although, it's all about the person doing the talking. In the south, an unmarried, educated brother with a job and no gold teeth isn't standing on every corner or asking you out. In general, I think women in the south are going to appreciate a certain type of man more than women in the north and have lower expectations when it comes to money (unless she's for sale). This could just be a matter of the size of the pond you're swimming in guys. I always joke that I'm suffering through this upsurd cost of living in DC for the love of educated penis. Cause we all know, kind of like Chris Rock says, Good-D doesn't have a job.

Another thing about being polite in the south is that we get cussed out so quickly for not responding correctly--- we quickly learn to just be nice. "You ain't gotta act like that, bitch" rolls off the tongue of ex-suiters within 10 minutes of meeting them. One minute it's love at first sight, the next, you ain't shit.

One more thing about women in the south: Why is it that every other time I say I'm from NC, dudes say "Oh you can cook then!" with wide smiles? It's like you can see biscuits and gravy dancing in their eyes. It's a myth man.. a vicious rumor that they teach southern girls how to cook in school or something. Weird. Anyway, here's the Gospel of Clayton- as Mcvay calls it:


Just take my word for it. Women and how much friendlier they are in the South has been my #2 soapbox topic for the last six months (#1 being cost-of-living/quality-of-life in.. say.. Charlotte as opposed to our nation's capitol and surrounding areas).

It is DEFINITELY a North/South thing. I don't know anything about dude at your job. I do know that while I was in school in the South I pretty much tried my hand at every chick that attracted me, unless I was in a committed relationship at the time and that wasn't very often. Of course, I lost more than I won but I never had the second thought, "What if this chick isn't interested and gives me shit as if she is offended that I stepped to her?" because that shit just didn't happen.

It wasn't until I left that area and moved northward that chicks started acting in the exact manner as was suggested above. I thought it was a "getting older" thing. Like "Damn.. Women get mean as they get older. No wonder damn near every man I meet who has been married for 5+ years tells me not to do it." Then I had the good fortune to take a trip back to Dixie and lo-and-behold.... the females were friendly or at least cordial. If they felt they were out of my league or whatever, they didn't feel the need to act like I insulted their mother and shat on the hood of their cars. It was more of a "thanks but no thanks" which is cool.

I considered that maybe it was just me but I conferred with said crew and they noticed the same thing.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"In the south, an unmarried, educated brother with a job and no gold teeth isn't standing on every corner or asking you out."

Hallelujah! You ain't never lied.

5/16/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

lol "..while visions of biscuits and gravy dance in their heads."

I wouldn't say it's a myth, Sushi. It's more like a relic. I'm almost positive it was true at one point a generation or two ago but you're right. It's not true at all today. Women who cook in general are a rare thing. I know more dudes who cook than women, and by a pretty wide margin.

What is up with that? Is there some sort of backlash against the "homemaker" vibe going on? If so, shouldn't that have happened back in the 80's?

"I'm a strong, independent, goal oriented, self sufficient... women. I don't cook."

Is that it? In the new millennium being able to cook looks good on anyone's resume, male or female, north or south.

On top of all that... it's really not that hard. It doesn't take any special skills.

5/17/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to know what is the horrible thing about gold teeth?

When I was in middle school I wanted some so bad...and now I swear if they weren't so stigmatized Id have a bottom row (a'la Big Boi) that Id pop in and probably only wear w/club-like clothes...

I mean think about it I know you got an uncle or an older cousin or even an aunt w/a gold tooth or teeth...it don't look that bad on them...

I mean the job part I can feel...but does a grill really say ANYTHING about the man beneath?

As far as cooking...EVERYBODY should cook...I be cookin my ass off and almost look at someone not cookin the same way yall look at someone w/gold teeth...and not just southern...Northerners seem to forget most of their fams originated in the south so they got the cookin gene too

5/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The main problem with gold teeth is yuck mouth. Metal in your mouth increases your chance of having stanky breath.

Floridians love their gold teeth. Nurses have them at the hospital. One of the Admissions Officers had them at UF. I don't think it screams professional adult.

5/18/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

it's a bad look, gold teeth, especially when it's a fashion statement. If it were a cap your mama co-signed on years ago, fine.

I see nothing wrong with a dude rocking fronts to the club. It's similar to a woman rocking a wig and colored contacts, as long as you know it's for fun time and not forever. And as long as you don't get mad when ladies turn you down.

On the cooking thing, I have a theory..

5/18/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

Our moms made it into the work place and they got their educations or careers popping. Then they got hit with the double duty of also cooking the meals at home, after busting ass at work just like dad, while making less. Many women find it unfair and limiting. No matter how much they love their family, some moms (like mine) teach their daughters not to be a maid for any man. Cook for yourself and for the joy of cooking, but not because he's hungry or expecting it.

Y'all are going to hate this, but I always pretend like I don't cook.. Don't worry about what I'm cooking, I want to go out. I don't want to create a dependency. It's very hard to get out of that role once your man expects dinner or breakfast or whatever.

5/18/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

ok.. Scenario: Y'all are chillaxin one evening and he goes in the kitchen and cooks himself some dinner. None for you.

What are you saying/thinking?

5/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay,

I don't think she said she cooks in front of him and then selfishly doesn't share. Atsui said (and correct me if I'm worng), that she just doesn't mention the depths of her abilities. If he thinks she can make 3 dishes, then on the 4th day rather than repeat the rotation she'd like be taken out.

5/18/2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh naw I know. I just totally made that scenario up but it isn't really a good one to make my point, now that I think of it and.. my point isn't a good one anyway so.. never mind.

This is the first time I've heard of pretending not to be able to cook like that though. It would explain why it seems that so many females "can't cook" cause, like I said, it's not like it's hard.

5/18/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since we're on that topic, the radio show I'm listening to just gave AKAs the slogan: "Good Lookin, Non-Cookin".

5/18/2007  
Blogger Atsui_Gal said...

yo.. i actually have cooked a left a dude hungry. Once he said he was hungry I made him something too. Haven't heard from him since. Weird.

But I'd never do that today. RSH is right, when the convo turns to cooking, I just play down the frequency and often omit that part of my daily activities if I did cook or plan to later. And of course, you're not going to come over and smell a delicious meal bubbling.

Good Lookin' non cooking is a WHOLE other subject.

5/18/2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home