Militant Black Toast

By Any Means Necessary

Thursday, June 28, 2007

What a Wuss

Today is pretty ordinary. I went to lunch today for the first time all week. Hooray for my budget! I had to bring my laptop to lunch and get some work done. I ordered food with no questions asked, which is major for me. I usually ask at least two questions, but I knew what I wanted because I always get the same turkey burger. I know you really care about these details, that's why I share.

Anyway, my waiter is this hippy dude. I think he's hitting the peyote too hard because he was slow moving. Sure it could have been the other guest in there getting to him, but I like to imagine he's just stoned. I mean, he fumbled my ketchup request. I had to get up and ask him for it, then when it didn't arrive in a timely fashion (food's getting cold and I refuse to eat w/out my condiment of choice) I have to get up again and ask someone else.

Finally, I'm done and he drops the check. Thanks. I meant to pay immediately, but got wrapped up in my work. So this other waitress comes by and says, "Can you pay this. The other guy has to go and needs to close the blah blah blah blah blah..." She's giving me far too much info. I almost snapped like, "I GOT IT! Please go away!" I don't need a dissertation on how shift change works, no one does. I simply forgot the check was sitting there. So I put down my card, she takes it and guess who brings it back? Hippie boy.. Well, look who's here! What have you done for me lately? Nothing, that's what.

I think this dude was waiting on me to pay my bill and bitching to his co-worker, who took matters into her own hands and asked me to pay. She reminds me or me, if you know what i mean, so I didn't appreciate it. What a punk! Bring yo twinkie-filling ass over and ask me to pay... By the time someone else does it she was already frustrated with me, meanwhile I'm innocent. I was never formally asked to pay. This reminds me of when I was a waitress and assholes would be pissed because they didn't get something that they never asked me to bring. An empty glass of water, I can understand, it's obvious. You're missing a side of mashed potatoes? Give me fking break. Just let me know and I'll get you some, problem solved. But people would get really grumpy with me for not recognizing a minor detail. Sigh.

The waitress who went too far in asking me to pay the check is a problem solver. I ain't mad at her. The waiter who didn't have the balls to interrupt me is someone who avoids conflict, but really there was no conflict to avoid. Part of me couldn't help but think that he assumed I was difficult to approach, which is why his problem solver felt the need to break down the importance of paying the check.

This waiter's weakness disturbs me. It's bigger than missing ketchup and slow paying customers. The world would be a better, less stressful place if people didn't waste so much time complaining and brooding, and spent more time developing solutions to their problems. Complaining can be helpful because sometimes when I hear myself complaining it's the first time I realized that I really have a problem that needs to be solved. Then I solve it.

I could wrap this up with a word of advice, but why the hell should you listen to me?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, I think if that were me things would have gone down a bit differently. That's because, well I'll say it. Sometimes I can be a bit of a bitch.

I'd tell her that when the original waiter brings the ketchup that I asked for twice, then I can pay him for his services. However, if they'd like the bill paid without a tip, I'd be happy to let her run the card.

See? A bit of a bitch. I don't know why I have to settle scores that really don't need settling, but I do. It's like the universe is set a skew if I don't. I think I'm going to work on that. (Thanks Atsui, for inadvertently helping me to become a better citizen.)

6/28/2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would have looked at her...blinked twice...and said 'let me speak to your manager'

then they wouldn't have had to worry about me paying cuz that shit would have been comped

7/05/2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home